The Miami Herald aims for a 24/7 news cycle April 4, 2008Posted by Robert Rich in symposium.
Tags: liza gross, miami herald
Liza Gross, managing editor of presentation and operations at The Miami Herald, spoke about the Herald’s own move toward handling the constant deadlines brought about by the Internet.
Some highlights from her talk include:
The aims of the Herald:
– To serve all fronts from print to radio to online
– To create a 24 hour news operation (“Right now, we’re at about 20, we’re missing four hours.”)
– To improve and speed up decision making
The key to operations at the Herald is what Gross refers to as “the continuous news desk,” which is:
– The brain of the newsroom
– Led by a duty officer (a revolving role)
– Comprised of representatives from all key desks
The website must be updated at 6:30 am, 8:30 am, 11:30 am and 2:30 pm, “rain or shine.”